This has to be one of my thriftiest makes ever. It’s the Deer and Doe Plantain Tee, which is a free to download. I downloaded and assembled the PDF quite a while ago but only just got around to making something from it. I had this little bit of stripey fabric in my stash for a few months – it was only £1.50 and was from Rolls and Rems (where else!). There was juuuust enough fabric to make this tee and I love it!
The stripes are actually navy blue, though they look black in the photos.
With my new haircut (which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE), and in this tee shirt, I definitely feel like I’m channeling Jean Seberg!
I made this tee in the size 36 and changed the neckline. The classic Breton Tee has quite a high neckline (probably a boat neckline would be best), but the Plantain has quite a low scoop-neck. I raised it to just below the back neckline. I also didn’t bother with the neck band, partly because I would have had to work out a new length for it, and partly because I wasn’t entirely sure from the instructions how I should attach it! So I just turned the neckline under by 1.5cm and stitched it with my twin needle.
The sleeves are 3.3cm longer than the short sleeve length. I would have made longer, 3/4 length sleeves, but I didn’t have enough fabric – there was literally just enough to cut the front and back, then squeeze the sleeves from single layers left over after the other bits were cut out. I hemmed the sleeves with the twin needle too, turning under a tiny amount so as to preserve what length I had managed to eek out.
I think the original hem is a little curved, but I straightened the bottom, using the stripes as a guide. Then I turned up one white stripe and stitched the hem with the twin needle.
I think I’m starting to get the hang of sewing with knits. I matched the stripes on the side seams (but then, of course, forgot to take any photos) and I quite enjoy the professional look a twin needle gives to the hems. This is the thickest and most stable knit I’ve sewn with so far, and I like the fact that this is quite thick. I think I need a bit of a tweak in the armpit area to get it to sit better – I’ve had this before with other patterns, so I wonder if I have something that makes me atypical in the armpit/ sleeve area – I’ll try to make some changes if I make this pattern again, which I suspect I will. Any ideas what the issue is and how I can fix it? I think an armscye that extends lower than the pattern originally does.
I’m trying to make more basics for my wardrobe, so I think there’ll be more and more t-shirts and basic things like that coming up on the blog! Also skinny jeans hopefully!
Your tee looks great (especially with your awesome haircut)! It’s fun buying a bargain, but making one … so much better!
Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the fact that I probably could have bought something similar in Primark or somewhere – it’s definitely better to make it! And the fabric is better quality I think.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Style Inspiration: Jean Seberg | Thrift Make Sew
Pingback: Best Makes of 2015 | Thrift Make Sew
Pingback: Sewing Fail :( – Thrift Make Sew
Pingback: Royal Blue Coco Top
Pingback: 5 Things I Learned from Me Made May 2016
Pingback: Another Coco
Pingback: Wardrobe Architect Week 7: Exploring Solids and Prints
Pingback: Me Made May 2017 recap
Pingback: Wadrobe Architect Week 11: Planning Your Pieces
Pingback: Me Made May 2018 Round-Up