3 Woven Inari Tees

Since I’ve had more time for sewing, I’ve gone through my stash and made Inari tees from all of the scraps that were large enough. Some smaller scraps have become pocket linings too so my stash is pleasantly depleted at the moment (good excuse to buy some more fabric!)

All of these tees are the size 6 and with the 6.5cm extended length from the cropped version which I did first for the white version I made a little while ago. These three were made from leftovers from shirts I’ve made – this black striped one is made from the leftover fabric from this Archer shirt which was from Fabric Godmother.

I cut the cuffs with the striped going the other way to the rest of the tee and I’m so pleased I did!

This next tee is made from the leftovers from one of my Kalle shirts (that I made at the beginning of lockdown). This fabric is still really difficult to photograph to make it come out correctly in photographs!

I cut the back out in 2 pieces (adding the 1cm seam allowance) instead of on the fold as I didn’t have enough fabric left to cut it on the fold.

Since I made 2 Archers in the black and the pink linen/cotton, I also made 2 Inaris from the leftovers!

This one might be my favourite of these 3 as I really like the shade of pink. I always forget how much I enjoy wearing pink (and how I think it lifts my complexion) until I wear it, then I go ‘oh yeah!’

The Inari is definitely my go-to woven tee pattern now (not that I need any more!) Do you have a fav tee pattern?

 

 

Honeycomb Shirt (and my first time pattern testing)

I recently did my first bit of pattern testing, for CocoWawa Craft’s newest pattern the Honeycomb shirt (and shirtdress). I’ve met Ana a couple of times and she is as lovely in person as you would imagine, so I was thrilled when she asked me to pattern test for her. I’ve made quite a few different shirt patterns before and I was excited to give a new one a go. I haven’t pattern tested before because, although I’ve seen calls put out for testers a few times, I’ve always worried that I wouldn’t find the time to make the pattern in time. Especially as my output is quite a bit lower this year than it has been in the last couple of years. But I did get it done in time, phew!

The pink fabric is some mystery drapey stuff I’ve had in my stash for years – I originally bought it from Rolls and Rems on Holloway Road, which I think might not be there any more. I used some of this fabric to make one of my very early makes, a Grainline Scout Tee (long since consigned to the charity shop) and I lined a Tilly and the Buttons Delphine skirt for the #SewDots initiative last year or the year before. I think it was a good choice for this pattern as it’s quite loose fitting (which is, handily, how I prefer my tops to fit) so I think it benefits from a bit of drape.

I made the shirt version as since I changed jobs (from a boring office job to rolling furnishing fabric) I’ve not worn so many dresses. I already have a couple more dresses cut out and didn’t think I really needed any more – I definitely need more separates. I made it in the size 3 (which is a UK size 10) as this was the size closest to my bust and waist measurements – my hips were a little big for the size, but there is so much ease there that I figured it would be fine. I also left off all the ties which can be included with the shirt or the shirtdress as they’re not really my style. I also made the short sleeves so I could wear this in this weird warm weather we’ve been having recently – the fabric is quite thin so not the best for Autumn/Winter.

I feel that the short sleeves are a little long on me – I am only 5’3″ so it might be that I have short arms. I might take them up a bit the next time I’m at my machine and have white thread in it.

The instructions were really easy to follow and I would definitely recommend this as a first shirt pattern to make – there is a grandad collar rather than a collar with collar stand and there aren’t sleeve plackets on the short sleeves. There are also some nice seam details which would allow you to adjust the fit to be a bit closer if you wanted.

Heh, I like how the wind caught the peplum skirt. Also, not sure what I’m doing with my face in the below photo!

The buttons were some I had in my stash – they’re leftovers from my Kalle Shirt, which I haven’t got around to blogging yet.

I did enjoy my first time pattern testing – I had enough time to make the shirt in time for the deadline and the pattern came together really easily. I’m not sure I had any particularly useful feedback, though. But I guess pattern designers try to have the pattern as finished as possible before it goes to testers, so I wouldn’t expect ti find major errors or anything. Maybe I’ll sign up to pattern test again in the future.

And this week’s outtake….