Black Simplicity Trousers

After making my first pair of Simplicity 1696 trousers last April, I finally got around to making my second pair – or third if you count the pair I refashioned from my dad’s suit. I’ve worn these loads already, since making them back in May.

I made them in the same size as last time and made some of the same adjustments I made last time, namely to take in the legs on the outside seam. Last time I took them in on the inside leg seam too, but this time I didn’t. I’m happy to have a quite loose pair of trousers in this heat wave we’re having in the UK!

They do look a bit loose around the crotch area, but I’m not particularly bothered. I did actually completely finish these and then I unpicked the waistband and took them in a little more than I had before that. They were sitting too low on my hips, so the crotch was even lower and it bothered me too much. Usually once I’ve finished something, I can’t be bothered to fix things, but I did this time and I’m so pleased I did!

I left off the fake welt pockets on the back of this pair because they don’t serve any purpose and they don’t look great because I didn’t do them very well!

The fabric is some black twill I bought in Birmingham a year ago when I went for a meet-up with some Bristol-based sewing buddies. I initially bought it with a 60’s style dress in mind but I figured trousers would get more wear so I took the plunge and cut it up. And it’s not like black twill is difficult to find if I ever get around to making the dress!

This is my kind of outtake from this photoshoot – which is the result of me not quite getting into the shot after setting off my timer!

I don’t really have too much to say about these trousers except that I love them and have worn them multiple times per week since finishing them! I could do with another pair or two of good trousers to give myself more choice than just ‘navy or black’, though that’s pretty much always been the case for me!

Next time I share some trousers, I’m sure I’ll make them from a different pattern so I might have more to say!

 

 

March Make and April Plans

March was definitely a light sewing month for me, despite the Easter long weekend we just had. I think since making my coat (which I still love so much I slightly don’t want it to warm up so I can keep wearing it!), my sew-jo has dissipated a bit. I’m not sure why, but I’m hoping it comes back soon.

The only item I made was this Kalle shirt, with the hidden button placket. I intended to get it finished in time for the Sew My Style deadline, which I think was the 25th, but it still doesn’t have buttons (but it counts as a finished make as the buttons will take me, like, 10 minutes).

My first make of April will hopefully be another paid of the Simplicity 1696 trousers which I made in navy blue last year.  I wear them all the time and could really do with a black pair. I bought some black twill last year during one of my fabric shopping trips to Birmingham. I originally had another plan for the fabric but trousers will be a more useful addition to my wardrobe.

It’s hopefully going to be trousers month in Machinations towers so my other main plan is to finally make a start on jeans. When I made my plans for the year, I planned one of my make nine or the three Sew My Style for each month and April and May are for the 2 Closet Case Patterns jeans patterns. I think I’ll start with the Morgans as they aren’t as fitted, but are presumably drafted using the same block so I’ll know which adjustments I’ll need to make to the Gingers to get them to fit. I still need to prepare both patterns but I’m hopeful I’ll have some jeans by the end of the month.

If I have time (which seems very. very unlikely) I’m still planning to make some Carolyn Pyjamas.

In other blog news, for the last year or two I’ve been trying to blog twice a week, though if you check the dates I publish posts, you’ll see I almost never achieved it and then I felt bad about missing my own schedule. So I’ve decided to write one post a week – with an additional one here and there if I have lots to share, though with my current sewing output, this seems unlikely!